Learn how to place a Wager
HOw TO BET
For the absolute beginner
Whether you are placing a wager on a local race or a Simulcast, at a self-service terminal or with a Mutuel teller, the process of betting on a horse race is the same. Come prepared with the below information, and be ready to present it in the order listed.
1. The name of the track you want to wager on.
2. The number of race you want to wager on.
3. The dollar amount of your wager.
4. The type of wager you would like.
5. The number (not the name) of the horse(s) you would like to wager on.
TYPES OF BETS
These bets are available on all races unless specified otherwise.
WIN: You collect if your horse is the official winner of the race.
PLACE: A place wager collects if your horse finishes in either first or second position.
SHOW: A show wager collects if your horse finishes in either first, second or third position.
DAILY DOUBLE: The challenge is to pick the winners of two designated consecutive races. For Penn National it is available for the 1st-7th races.